Welcome To Heckin Fine Geckos
The Leos made me do it
Basic Leopard Gecko Habitat Requirements – Don’t finish shopping without them!
- Housing: for a single leopard gecko minimum dimensions are 18″/46cm Long, 18″/46cm Wide, and 9″/23cm Tall. To avoid fights, it is best to house them solo although housing verified females together can technically be done. You will also need minimum 2 hides/caves per gecko. There is no such things as ‘too big’ of a home for leos, unless it becomes too difficult to keep a good temperature gradient for them. Aquarium-style terrariums that are 20gal all the way through 80gal are used with success.
- Food: Main diet can consist of any of the following (or a mixture of); dubia roaches, mealworms, small superworms, and crickets. Treats can include wax worms, butter worms, small to medium hornworms, and silk worms. Leos are insectivores and hunters, and rarely try to eat anything that isn’t alive and wiggly.
- Water: Provide fresh water every second day in a shallow bowl and mist (spray with clean water from clean spray bottle) the inside of the warm side hides 3-5 times a week. The water bowl, to stay freshest, should be in the middle or toward the cooler end of the enclosure.
- Heat: Heat mat, cable (rated for animal care to prevent burns and fire hazards!), or ceramic heat emitter (CHE) to create a thermal gradient (temperature zones). The warm end should be 86-89F (30-32C) and you only need more warming options if your typical household temperature drops below 68F (20 C). Never put enclosure in the direct path of an air conditioner! It can be in the same room, but the gecko can’t tolerate a direct freezing wind.
- Lifespan: They can live as old as 30 years, with averages in captivity being 12-20 years.
- Size: Usually they stop growing lengthwise between 7″-9″. If they get longer and broader (without being overweight), it’s possible there are some Giant or Super Giant genes in their lineage. In this case, they could reach 11″
- Check out the Blog for articles with more in-depth explanation of care, to keep your gecko healthy and prevent vet costs
- You can also check me out on Morph Market at https://www.morphmarket.com/stores/alixheckinfinegeckos/